Call for Submissions: Workshops
Submissions will open November 1, 2019. The submission deadline is Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern).
ASA invites members to propose workshops for the 2020 Annual Meeting. There are four types of workshops: (1) Departmental Leadership and Management; (2) Professional Development; (3) Research and Policy; and (4) Teaching. Workshops are scheduled throughout the four days of the Annual Meeting.
Workshops are opportunities for sociologists to gain new skills and knowledge during the Annual Meeting. Topics and content should reflect the training sociologists need and seek. Workshops on all topics are welcome. When possible and appropriate, relating a workshop to the Annual Meeting theme is encouraged.
Because this is a training experience, the workshop description should include specific learning goals/objectives. Workshops are not an appropriate place to share research findings beyond those that inform the specific training provided. Workshops with multiple presenters providing insights and recommendations are usually more effective. ASA recommends a mixture of active learning, small groups, hands-on exercises, and lectures. Use of universal design is expected.
Workshops are 1 hour and 40 minutes in duration. Workshop attendance is open to all Annual Meeting registrants. There is no fee to attend a workshop.
When making your submission, the following will be required:
- Description (200 - 300 words), including the specific learning goals/objectives for the workshop and the material you will cover.
- Names, affiliations, and contact information for organizers(s) and leader(s). All workshop leaders must be confirmed before submission.
- Audio Visual – Please indicate if you require AV equipment other than the standard LCD projector. Any media should be saved to your laptop or tablet before your presentation. We want workshops to be high-quality learning experiences, however charges for AV can be expensive so please limit your request to essential equipment. A request is not a guarantee that the equipment will be made available.
- Preliminary Agenda/Presenter Qualifications – Upload a preliminary agenda for the workshop as an attached Proposal document. Please also include, for each individual, how their background and expertise will contribute to the success of the proposed course.
If you have any questions about submitting a workshop proposal, please contact Margaret Weigers Vitullo, Deputy Director.
How to Submit
Submissions will open November 1, 2019. The submission deadline is Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern). All submissions must be made via the online submission system. The online forms will guide you through the steps required to submit your proposal.
- Log in with your ASA username and password.
- Click on the link "2020 Submissions" listed under Annual Meeting.
- Select "Submit a New Proposal" and then select "Workshop."