Call for Submissions: Courses
Submissions will open November 1, 2019. The submission deadline is Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern).
ASA invites members to propose a course for the 2020 Annual Meeting in San Francisco. Courses will be held on Friday, August 7, 2020, the day before the first full day of sessions at the Annual Meeting.
Courses are half- or full-day opportunities for sociologists to gain new skills and knowledge. Topics and content should reflect the training sociologists need and seek. Courses on all topics are welcome. When possible and appropriate, relating a course to the Annual Meeting theme is encouraged.
Because this is a training experience, the course description should include specific learning goals/objectives. ASA recommends a mixture of active learning, small groups, hands-on exercises, and lectures. Use of universal design is expected.
Attendees must register for the Annual Meeting in addition to registering for the course. There must be a minimum of 10 pre-registrants for the course to be held. Presenters are required to register. Registration fees will be determined by ASA in conjunction with course organizer(s).
Courses may be half-day (8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.) or full-day offerings. Please schedule an open hour for lunch for full-day courses; everyone is on their own for lunch. Full-day courses must finish no later than 5:00 p.m.
When making your submission, the following will be required:
- Description (approximately 300 words) including the specific learning goals/objectives for the course and the material you will cover.
- Names, affiliations, and contact information for organizer(s) and panelists(s). All course participants must be confirmed before submission.
- Audio Visual – Please indicate if you require AV equipment other than the standard LCD projector. Any media should be saved to your laptop or tablet before your presentation. We want courses to be high-quality learning experiences, however charges for AV can be expensive so please limit your request to essential equipment. A request is not a guarantee that the equipment will be made available. All costs are considered when course fees are set.
- Preliminary Agenda/Presenter Qualifications – Upload a preliminary agenda for the course as an attached Proposal document. Please also include, for each individual, how their background and expertise will contribute to the success of the proposed course.
If you have any questions about submitting a course proposal, please contact please contact Margaret Weigers Vitullo, Deputy Director.
How to Submit
Submissions will open November 1, 2019. The submission deadline is Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern). All submissions must be made via the online submission system. The online forms will guide you through the steps required to submit your proposal.
- Log in with your ASA username and password.
- Click on the link "2020 Submissions" listed under Annual Meeting.
- Select "Submit a New Proposal" and then select "Courses."