Download full issue
At its August 20-21, 2012, meetings in Denver, ASA Council welcomed seven new Council members: President-Elect Annette Lareau, Vice President-Elect Brian Powell, Secretary-Elect Mary Romero, and Council Members-at-large Stephanie Bohon, Kelly Joyce, Dina Okamoto, and Jane Sell. Pending Council approval and online posting of the minutes, the following is a brief snapshot of key decisions and information.
Minutes. Approved the meeting minutes for February 11-12, February 21, February 23, March 1, and July 10, 2012. Minutes of all Council meetings are posted online at www.asanet.org/about/Council_Minutes.cfm.
Audit. Approved the final audit for Fiscal Year 2011, now available online at www.asanet.org/about/audit.cfm.
Membership. Accepted the recommendation to offer Publishing Options as a member benefit (free to Members) for 2013.
- With the transition of Sociological Methodology (SM) and Sociological Theory (ST) from Wiley-Blackwell to SAGE, approved strategy of incremental changes to bring rates for SM and ST in line with ASA’s other quarterly journals and below the price for the American Sociological Review.
- Approved no increase in Member rates, which remain at 2010 levels, and lowered Member rate for SM to match Member rates for other ASA journals.
- Approved institutional subscription rate increases of 1.5% to 12.5% for 2013 as negotiated with the publishers.
- Supported altering Call for Papers requirements to permit submission of working drafts of papers that are 15-25 pages long and require submission of abstracts with working drafts.
- Affirmed provision of increased connectivity for attendees on-site.
- Approved a $10 increase in fees for general registration, events, and services for the 2013 Annual Meeting.
- Approved amendments to the ASA policy on exhibits, advertisements, and sales under the auspices of the Association that explicitly adds ”the use or rental of the ASA membership list.”
- Approved a one-time allocation of 44 additional pages for a special issue of Teaching Sociology.
- Approved designating the volume being compiled by the ASA Task Force on Global Climate Change as an official ASA publication.
- Decided not to immediately destroy boxes of old editorial office files that are ineligible for inclusion in the ASA Archives at Penn State; materials will be moved to a secure location pending policy decisions about destruction and/or securing permissions to enable continued archiving.
Committee and Task Force Appointments
- Accepted the recommendations of the Committee on Nominations (CON), Committee on Committees (COC), ASA Secretary, and ASA Executive Officer for 2013 elected and appointed Association positions, with the provision that names of Council members be dropped from the COC lists.
- Approved President-Elect Annette Lareau’s selection of the following members for the 2014 Program Committee: Barbara Risman, Kjersten Whittington; and ex-officio members Brian Powell (ASA Vice President-Elect), Catherine White Berheide (Secretary), Mary Romero (Secretary-Elect), and Sally T. Hillsman (Executive Officer).
- Approved the proposed members for the Task Force on Community College Faculty in Sociology and the Task Force on Post-Doctorate Fellowships in Sociology.
Committee on Awards
- Confirmed that chairs of award selection committees may solicit suggestions for nominations.
Back to Top of Page
Back to Front Page of Footnotes | Table of Contents