homeprev issuesexecpublic affairsSTAFFASA home

ASA Election Results: Epstein Elected ASA President; Smith-Lovin Vice President

Cynthia Fuchs Epstein, Graduate Center of the City University of New York, has been elected to serve as the 97th President of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for 2005-2006. Lynn Smith-Lovin of Duke University has been elected Vice President. Epstein and Smith-Lovin will assume their respective offices in August of 2005, following a year of service as President-Elect and Vice President-Elect, respectively. Epstein and the 2006 Program Committee are responsible for shaping the ASA Annual Meeting, which will be held in New York, August 12-15, 2006. As President, Epstein also will serve as Chair of the ASA Council, which governs the Association and its policies.

In 2004, Epstein was honored with the ASA Jessie Bernard award for her pioneering work exploring women’s exclusion from the professions. Among her books are Woman’s Place (1970), Women in Law (1981), and her landmark theoretical work Deceptive Distinctions (1988). Perhaps her most central insight is that since women and men are far more similar than they are different—in terms of both abilities and aspirations—the exclusion of women from equal status in the workplace is without foundation and can only be attributed to inaccurate stereotypic notions of women’s lives, hopes, and abilities.

The four newly elected Council Members-at-Large are: Rebecca Adams, University of North Carolina-Greensboro; Kathleen Blee, University of Pittsburgh; Ann Shola Orloff, Northwestern University; Bruce Western, Princeton University. Also elected were two members to the Committee on Publications, six to the Committee on Nominations, and six to the Committee on Committees.

In announcing the results of the election, Secretary Arne L. Kalleberg and Executive Officer Sally T. Hillsman extended their heartiest congratulations to the newly elected officers and committee members, and appreciation to all who have served the Association by running for office and by voting in this election.

Opposing a Constitutional Amendment

An ASA member resolution opposing an amendment to the United States Constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage was also included on the spring ballot. Approximately 75% of the members who cast a vote on the member-generated resolution voted in support of the resolution. The membership vote causes the resolution to become an official position of the American Sociological Association. In addition to the member resolution, members were also asked in an opinion poll whether they personally favored or opposed legislation that bans same sex marriage; on this issue, 79% of voters indicated that they opposed such legislation.

Healthy Turnout at the “E-Polls”

The ASA community can take pride that of the 10,858 members eligible to vote, 3,174 ballots were cast, constituting a 29.23 percent response. This represents a slight decline over the 30 percent participation rate in the 2003 election, but ASA voter participation is higher than most nonprofit associations experience, according to various surveys.

Approximately 60 percent of ASA voters opted to cast their votes electronically, with the remaining 40 percent participating via paper ballots. In the 2003 election, 55 percent of voters cast their votes electronically.

Below is the full slate of newly elected officers.

Cynthia Fuchs Epstein, Graduate Center of the City University of New York

Vice President-Elect
Lynn Smith-Lovin, Duke University

Rebecca Adams, University of North Carolina-Greensboro
Kathleen Blee, University of Pittsburgh
Ann Shola Orloff, Northwestern University
Bruce Western, Princeton University

Committee on Publications
Christine Bose, University at Albany
Daniel Cornfield, Vanderbilt University

Committee on Nominations
Scott Coltrane, University of California-Riverside
Susan Eckstein, Boston University
Irene Padavic, Florida State University
David Takeuchi, University of Washington-Seattle
Cheryl Townsend Gilkes, Colby College

Committee on Committees
Sharon Hays, University of Virginia
Hank Johnston, San Diego State University
Anna Karpathakis, City University of New York-Kingsborough
Patricia Yancey Martin, Florida State University