Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: Section on Religion
Section on Religion
The purpose of the Section on Sociology of Religion is to encourage and enhance research, teaching, and other professional concerns in the study of religion and society. The Section seeks to promote communication, collaboration and consultation among scholars in the field of the sociology of religion.
- Sponsors invited panels, paper sessions, and refereed roundtables at ASA annual meetings.
- Publishes a newsletter that includes notices of recently published monographs, edited collections, texts, and other information for teaching and research, as well as news of the section.
- Publicizes the events and publications of kindred organizations, such as the Association for the Sociology of Religion, the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Religious Research Association, and the American Academy of Religion.
- Maintains an electronic listserv to assist members in communicating directly with one another.
- Recognizes distinguished scholarship with awards for best book, best article, and a graduate student paper award.
- Encourages graduate students and faculty to exchange ideas about research in progress.
Section Officers 2014-2015
Chair Elaine Howard Ecklund, Rice University
Chair-Elect Omar M. McRoberts, University of Chicago
Past Chair Patricia A. Wittberg, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Secretary/Treasurer Gerardo Marti, Davidson College 2016
Richard Flory, University of Southern California 2015
Brian Steensland, Indiana University Bloomington 2015
Kraig Beyerlein, University of Notre Dame 2016
Paul R. Lichterman, University of Southern California 2016
Orit Avishai, Fordham University 2017
Genevieve Zubrzycki, University of Michigan 2017
Patricia A. Wittberg, Chair
Book Award Committee:
Anna Sun, chair
Distinguished Article Award Committee:
Amy Burdette, chair
Carl Ann MacGregor
Student Paper Award Committee:
Brandon Vaidyanathan, chair