Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: Section on Religion
Section on Religion
The purpose of the Section on Sociology of Religion is to encourage and enhance research, teaching, and other professional concerns in the study of religion and society. The Section seeks to promote communication, collaboration and consultation among scholars in the field of the sociology of religion.
- Sponsors invited panels, paper sessions, and refereed roundtables at ASA annual meetings.
- Publishes a newsletter that includes notices of recently published monographs, edited collections, texts, and other information for teaching and research, as well as news of the section.
- Publicizes the events and publications of kindred organizations, such as the Association for the Sociology of Religion, the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Religious Research Association, and the American Academy of Religion.
- Maintains an electronic listserv to assist members in communicating directly with one another.
- Recognizes distinguished scholarship with awards for best book, best article, and a graduate student paper award.
- Encourages graduate students and faculty to exchange ideas about research in progress.
Section Officers 2013-2014
Chair Patricia A. Wittberg Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Chair-Elect Elaine Howard Ecklund Rice University
Past Chair Penny A. Edgell University of Minnesota
Secretary/Treasurer Gerardo Marti Davidson College
John H. Evans Univ. of California- San Diego 2014
Melissa M. Wilcox Whitman College 2014
Richard Flory University of Southern California 2015
Brian Steensland Indiana University 2015
Kraig Beyerlein University of Notre Dame 2016
Paul R. Lichterman University of Southern California 2016
Penny Edgell, Chair
Book Award Committee:
Brian Steensland, Chair
Distinguished Article Award Committee:
Bill Mirola, Chair
Student Paper Award Committee:
David Smilde, Chair