Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: Section on Religion
Section on Religion
The purpose of the Section on Sociology of Religion is to encourage and enhance research, teaching, and other professional concerns in the study of religion and society. The Section seeks to promote communication, collaboration and consultation among scholars in the field of the sociology of religion.
- Sponsors invited panels, paper sessions, and refereed roundtables at ASA annual meetings.
- Publishes a newsletter that includes notices of recently published monographs, edited collections, texts, and other information for teaching and research, as well as news of the section.
- Publicizes the events and publications of kindred organizations, such as the Association for the Sociology of Religion, the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Religious Research Association, and the American Academy of Religion.
- Maintains an electronic listserv to assist members in communicating directly with one another.
- Recognizes distinguished scholarship with awards for best book, best article, and a graduate student paper award.
- Encourages graduate students and faculty to exchange ideas about research in progress.
Section Officers 2015-2016
Chair Omar M. McRoberts, University of Chicago
Chair-Elect Brian Steensland, IUPUI
Past Chair Elaine Howard Ecklund, Rice University
Secretary/Treasurer Gerardo Marti, Davidson College 2016
Kraig Beyerlein, University of Notre Dame 2016
Paul R. Lichterman, University of Southern California 2016
Orit Avishai, Fordham University 2017
Genevieve Zubrzycki, University of Michigan 2017
Philip S. Gorski, Yale University 2018
Jenny Trinitapoli, University of Chicago 2018
Elaine Howard Ecklund
Book Award Committee:
Mary Ellen Konyzny (Chair)
Distinguished Article Award Committee:
Dawne Moon (Chair)
Student Paper Award Committee:
Patricia Herzog (Chair)