Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: 2011 Election Results
Cecilia Ridgeway, Stanford University, has been elected the 104th President of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for 2012-2013. Jennifer Glass, University of Iowa, has been elected Vice President for 2012-2013. Ridgeway and Glass will assume their respective offices in August 2012, following a year of service as President-elect and Vice President-elect. Ridgeway will chair the 2013 Program Committee that will shape the ASA Annual Meeting program in New York City, August 10-13, 2013. As ASA President, Ridgeway will be Chair of the ASA Council, which governs the association and its policies, be a member of the ASA Committee on the Executive Office and Budget and the 2013-14 Publications Committee.
Members also elected four new Council Members-at-Large: David Brunsma (University of Missouri-Columbia); Laurel Smith-Doerr (Boston University); Amanda Lewis (Emory University); and Monica Prasad (Northwestern University). Also elected were two members of the Committee on Publications, six members of the Committee on Nominations, and four members of the Committee on Committees.
In announcing the results of the election, Secretary Catherine White Berheide and Executive Officer Sally T. Hillsman extended their heartiest congratulations to the newly elected officers and committee members and their appreciation to all ASA members who have served the Association by running for office and by voting in this election.
Almost half the voting members of the ASA community took part in the 2011 election, Although participation was down slightly compared to last year's turnout, ASA is one of the very few scholarly associations with participation this high. Of the 10,037 members eligible to vote in the 2011 election there was a 45.1 percent participation rate, compared to 48.5 percent in 2010. In the 47 ASA Sections elections, 53.8 percent participated in 2011. Of the total votes cast, 99.25 percent were cast online, with the remaining 0.75 percent cast by mail via paper ballots.
Here is the full slate of the newly elected officers and committee members:
Cecilia L. Ridgeway, Stanford UniversityVice President-Elect
Jennifer L. Glass, University of IowaCouncil Members-at-Large
David Brunsma, University of Missouri-Columbia
Amanda Lewis, Emory University
Monica Prasad, Northwestern University
Laurel Smith-Doerr, Boston UniversityCommittee on Publications
James Jasper, CUNY - Graduate Center
Steve Vallas, Northeastern University
Committee on Nominations
Elizabeth Armstrong, University of Michigan
Susan Bell, Bowdoin College
Neil Gross, University of British Columbia
Guillermina Jasso, New York University
Mignon Moore, University of California - Los Angeles
John Iceland, Pennsylvania State University
Committee on Committees
Daniel Chambliss, Hamilton College (Members at Large)
Ann Morning, New York University (Members at Large)
Amanda Damarin, Georgia Perimeter College (2-Year Degree Granting Institution)
Jyoti Puri, Simmons College (MA Degree-Granting Institution)