Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: Sociology of Population Awards
Sociology of Population Call for Awards Nominees Statement
The Section on Sociology of Population announces a call for nominations for the 2016 Otis Dudley Duncan Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Social Demography. The Award will be presented to the author(s) of a recent book that has made significant contributions to social demography. Books published in the last three calendar years (2014-2016) will be considered. Self-nominations are accepted. Winners of the award for previous years can be found on the Past Award Recipients Page (http://www.asanet.org/population/recipients.cfm).
Please send a letter of nomination with a brief description of the book and its contribution to the field of Social Demography by email to the Committee Chair, with copies to the other Committee members (listed below). Nominators should also request copies of the book from the publishers to be sent to all three committee members. Nominations and books should be sent by February 15, 2016. Nominees must be members of the American Sociological Association.
Otis Dudley Duncan Award Committee
Yang Yang, Committee Chair,
Department of Sociology,
155 Hamilton Hall, CB #3210,
University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, 27599-3210,
Policy Analysis and Management,
2301 Martha Van Rensselaer Hall,
Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853,
Department of Sociology,
Box 1916, 108 George Street,
Providence RI 02912,
The Sociology of Population Section seeks nominations for an award recognizing an outstanding published article in demography or population studies by a sociologist. The nomination deadline is February 15, 2016. To be eligible, articles must have a 2014, 2015, or 2016 publication date. Self-nominations are accepted. Nominations should include name of author(s), title of the article, date of publication and a brief statement explaining the significance of the work and its contribution to the sociology of population. Award nominees must be current members of the American Sociological Association. Winners of the award for previous years can be found on the Past Award Recipients Page (http://www.asanet.org/population/recipients.cfm)."
Please send an electronic copy of the nominating letter(s) and article by email to members of the selection committee:
Jennifer Montez, Committee Chair (Syracuse University, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Megan Sweeney (UCLA. email: MSweeney@Soc.ucla.edu)
John Iceland (Penn State University, email: email@example.com)
The Sociology of Population Section announces the call for papers for the Student Paper Award in social demography. The deadline for submission is February 15, 2016. This award consists of a certificate and support for travel expenses to attend the 2015 ASA meeting in Seattle. The following are the submission criteria:
• The paper can be published or unpublished; a published paper should be submitted as a regular text file.
• The paper can be sole-authored or have multiple student authors; no faculty co-authors are allowed. All authors must be currently enrolled in graduate school or have completed their Ph.D. degrees on or after January 1, 2016.
• Papers should be article-length (approximately 40 pages including tables and figures), concise and focused. This is not a dissertation award competition.
• The paper must use a sociological perspective to address an issue of relevance to contemporary demography, broadly defined. Purely technical papers are not eligible.
• The paper need not be on the ASA program.
• Membership in the Population Section of the ASA is not a requirement for the award, but is encouraged.
• The cover page of the paper should include a title and an abstract, but should have no other identifying information, such as name, university affiliation, address, or acknowledgements.
• A separate cover page containing the author's name, affiliation, address, and other identifying information should be included.
• The paper should be submitted via email by the deadline date.
E-mail your paper and the name and telephone number of the registrar of your degree-granting university to
Jennifer March Augustine, Committee Chair (University of South Carolina, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Other members of the committee are Shannon Monnat (Penn State University) and Sarah Burgard (University of Michigan).
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL NOMINEES MUST BE REGISTERED MEMBERS OF THE ASA
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR SECTION AWARDS