Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: 2010 Election Results
Results of 2010 Election
Erik Olin Wright, University of Wisconsin-Madison, has been elected to serve as the 103rd President of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for 2011-2012. Edward Telles, of Princeton University has been elected Vice President-elect. Wright and Telles will assume their respective offices in August of 2011, following a year of service as President-elect and Vice President-elect. Wright and the 2012 Program Committee are responsible for shaping the ASA Annual Meeting, which will be held August 17-20, 2012, in Denver, CO. As ASA President, Wright will serve as Chair of the ASA Council, which governs the association and its policies.
Members also elected four new Council Members-at-Large: Joya Misra (University of Massachusetts-Amherst), Mario Luis Small (University of Chicago), Cecilia Menjivar (Arizona State University), and Robin Wagner-Pacifici (Swarthmore College). Also elected were two members of the Committee on Publications, six members to the Committee on Nominations, and four members to the Committee on Committees.
In announcing the results of the election, Secretary Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Executive Officer Sally Hillsman extended their heartiest congratulations to the newly elected officers and committee members, and appreciation to all who have served the Association by running for office and by voting in this election.
Members of the ASA community took part in the 2010 election in strong numbers. Of the 10.034 members eligible to vote, 4,863 cast ballots in this election. This translates to a very strong 48.47% participation rate, which far surpasses the participation rates of similar scholarly societies, and is the highest participation in recent ASA history.ASA Sections also made a very strong showing, with 46 Sections recording more than 50% participation in their 2010 elections. Of the votes cast, 98.98% were cast online, with the remaining 1.02% cast via paper ballots.
Below is the full slate of newly elected officers and committee members:
Erik Olin Wright, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Edward E. Telles, Princeton University
Joya Misra, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Mario Luis Small, University of Chicago
Cecilia Menjivar, Arizona State University
Robin Wagner-Pacifici, Swarthmore College
Committee on Publications
Karen A. Cerulo, Rutgers University
Peggy Levitt, Wellesley College
Committee on Nominations
Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, Duke University
Vicki Smith, University of California-Davis
Patricia E. White, National Science Foundation
Frank Dobbin, Harvard University
Nazli Kibria, Boston University
Deirdre A. Oakley, Georgia State University
Committee on Committees
Michelle J. Budig, University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Members at Large)
Margaret Hunter, Mills College(Members at Large)
Laura Miller, RAND (Non-Academic Institution)
Wendy Cadge, Brandeis University (PhD-Granting Institution)