- ASA Council held its mid-year meeting on March 12-13, 2016, in Washington, DC. The official minutes will be approved during, and posted after, Council's meeting in August; click here for a snapshot of key decisions and discussions. Further information about Council's decisions will be included in future issues of ASA Member News and Notes and ASA Footnotes.
Recipients of 2016 Major ASA Awards
- The American Sociological Association proudly announces the recipients of the major ASA awards for 2016. These outstanding scholars will be recognized at the 2016 Annual Meeting Awards Ceremony in Seattle.
- W.E.B DuBois Career of Distinguished Scholarship: Glen H. Elder, Jr.
- Distinguished Scholarly Publication: Sanyu A. Mojola
- Distinguished Career for the Practice of Sociology: Hugh "Bud" Mehan
- Distinguished Contributions to Teaching: Helen A. Moore
- Cox-Johnson-Frazier: Thomas Fraser Pettigrew
- Excellence in the Reporting of Social Issues: Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Jessie Bernard: Ronnie J. Steinberg
- Public Understanding of Sociology: Joel Best
Annual Meeting News and Updates
- The 2016 preliminary online program schedule will go live on the 2016 Annual Meeting website on May 2. The program will be searchable by participant name, session title, or individual presentation title. No program scheduling information is available in advance of May 2.
- Full preregistration for all events and services will be available on May 2. Members will be able to sign up for Courses, Tours, the Employment Service, Child Care Services, the Chairs and Directors of Graduate Study Conferences, the Social Media Conference, and the MFP and TEF Benefit Receptions at the same time they register for the Annual Meeting (or add to an existing registration). Preregistration closes July 13, 2016.
- Track the status of your paper submission. Session Organizers were asked to notify authors on the final disposition of the submissions no later than March 11. You may also track the status of your submission. Please note: you will need your ASA password and ID used at the time of submission to access this feature.
- Last Call for Space for Other Groups and Member-Sponsored Meetings. February 26, 2016, was the deadline for requesting evening space during the 2016 Annual Meeting for activities sponsored by members and/or organizations of interest to sociologists. If you've missed the deadline, submit your request immediately. More information.
Job Bank Enhancements Now Live
- The ASA Job Bank has new features to help job seekers as they look to grow in their careers. Employers are now asked to include the application deadline, whether the position is tenured or tenure-track, an institution description and logo, and additional contact information. Users can now also add jobs to their "My Favorites List" for future reference and can upload additional supporting documents (e.g., writing samples, teaching evaluations, sample syllabi) for their Job Bank profile for review by potential employers. Access to the Job Bank is a benefit of ASA membership; log in using your ASA user name and password. Full information on new features.
New in the Speak4Sociology Blog
The ASA Website: Back to the Future
- ASA is working on a new website design and concept with a planned launch in May. In the meantime, members may enjoy a glimpse of the distant past with a look at the first ASA website (courtesy of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine).
For Members Only
AAA Interdisciplinary Membership; Student Gift Memberships
- ASA is working to expand its interdisciplinary membership program. Current ASA members can now join the American Anthropological Association as an associate member for a special discounted rate of $106 (regularly $125). Membership includes online access to 40 AAA journals, a print subscription to Anthropology News, discounts on other publications and meeting registration, and much more. Join AAA.
- Looking for a way to reward or recognize an outstanding or deserving student? Consider giving the gift of ASA membership using the online gift process. Each gift membership is only $50 and includes all the regular benefits of student membership as well as a journal of the student's choice.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
- Review Essays (Contemporary Sociology, March 2016)
- Work Disability among Women: The Role of Divorce in a Retrospective Cohort Study by Christopher R. Tamborini, Gayle L. Reznik, and Kenneth A. Couch (Journal of Health and Social Behavior, March 2016)
- Orange Is Still Pink: Mental Illness, Gender Roles, and Physical Victimization in Prisons by Jason Schnittker and Valerio Bacak (Society and Mental Health, March 2016)
- The Age-Graded Nature of Advice: Distributional Patterns and Implications for Life Meaning by Markus H. Schafer and Laura Upenieks (Social Psychology Quarterly, March 2016)
- Neoliberalism and Symbolic Boundaries in Europe: Global Diffusion, Local Context, Regional Variation by Jonathan J. B. Mijs, Elyas Bakhtiari, and Michèle Lamont (Socius, February 18, 2016)
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA