ASA Launches 2015 Member-Get-A-Member Campaign
- The American Sociological Association challenges ASA members to encourage their colleagues, students, and others interested in the discipline of sociology to join ASA for 2015. Each current member who sponsors a new member is eligible for special recognition, prizes, and discounts on member dues. Read more.
ASA Election Closes June 1
Annual Meeting News and Updates
- The 2015 Preliminary Program schedule is available on the ASA website. The program's content search features have been enhanced and include full-text search capability across a variety of fields.
- Deadlines for Program participants. All program participants (member and non-member) were to preregister by May 13, in order to retain their listings in the online and printed Final Program.
- Deadline for Program Changes. Any changes to session listings for the printed Final Program must be received by ASA Meeting Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 1.
- Boost your skills at one of these specialized conference opportunities: Department Chair Conference, Director of Graduate Studies Conference, or the Social Media Conference. Preregister online by July 8.
- This year's Chairs Conference will focus on "Sex and Gender in Sociology Departments: Policy and Management Issues in the Context of Intimate Relationships and Core Identities." This pre-meeting event offers a unique opportunity for sociology department leaders to talk with their counterparts in similar departments facing similar challenges, and a valued source of strategic insight and professional renewal.
- Using a scenario-based approach, this year's Directors of Graduate Studies Conference will give participants the chance to collaborate with peers in thinking through ethical challenges that can arise in contexts such as advising, facilitating students' committees, and evaluating satisfactory academic progress. It will also examine the place of responsible conduct of research (RCR) and IRB training in the graduate curriculum.
- The 2015 Annual Meeting will offer a special series of workshops aimed at increasing knowledge of social media and strategies for using these tools in sociological work. Nine training modules will be offered under the title, ASA Social Media Pre-conference, organized by Dustin Kidd (Temple University). Each workshop is offered at a charge of $25.00 to registered attendees of the Annual Meeting; those interested in attending the modules must register in order to reserve their space.
New from the ASA Research Department
Research Brief on First Generation Sociology Students
- Do first generation college students overcome difficulties that they faced as undergraduates after they join the workforce? Read the latest research brief, First Generation Sociology Majors Overcome Deficits.
ASA Editors' Reports for 2014 Now Available Online
For Members Only
ASA Database of Subject Matter Experts for the Media
- In an effort to more efficiently connect journalists with sociologists and to better promote and disseminate sociological scholarship to the public, the American Sociological Association is continuing to expand its database of ASA members who are subject matter experts. This database serves as an easily accessible resource that ASA Public Affairs and Public Information staff consult when journalists request interviews with experts for their stories. Join the database.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA