ASR Ranked #1 in Sociology for 2014
Introducing MFP Cohort 42
- ASA and the Minority Fellowship Program (MFP) are pleased to introduce the six new Fellows who comprise MFP Cohort 42. This cohort consists of talented PhD candidates with strong and diverse sociological research interests. The new Fellows will officially begin their participation on August 1, 2015. Read about the new MFP Fellows.
New from the ASA Research Department
Faculty Salaries in Sociology and Other Disciplines
Join Us in Chicago for the 110th ASA Annual Meeting!
- The Annual Meeting Mobile App is now available. Preregistered meeting attendees also have the ability to view the meeting locations of all program sessions and may also build their personal agenda through the App using a custom access code. Please note: You must log in with your ASA ID and password to obtain your custom access code. With the App, you can:
- Stay organized with up-to-the-minute exhibitor, participant, and program information.
- Sync the App accross all of your devices with multi-device sync.
- Build a personalized schedule and bookmark exhibitors.
- Locate sessions and exhibitors on the maps and floorplans.
- Watch live webcasts of the Plenary Sessions.
- And much, much more!
- Complimentary WiFi. ASA will provide 40MBps bandwith WiFi in all ASA meeting rooms at both the Hilton Chicago and the Palmer House Hilton. The WiFi access facilitates the full use of the online program schedule, the App, and connections among attendees. Please note: Requests for hard-wired internet lines in session rooms for presentations will not be honored. For those of you considering streaming videos in your presentations, the bandwidth is sufficient to allow web browsing and e-mail. However, streaming data on the network is not advised.
- Convention Bulletin. Corrections that were received too late for the printed Final Program will be reflected in the online program schedule and the App. The online program schedule and App replace the paper copy of the Convention Bulletin handed out onsite at previous Annual Meetings.
- The ASA Opportunities in Retirement Network will host the following program this year. Please visit the online program schedule or the Annual Meeting App for full session details.
- Regular Session 276: Pre- and Post-Retirement Experiences and Issues (Sunday, August 23, 2:30-4:10 p.m.)
- Professional Development Workshop 445: Before and After Retirement (Monday, August 24, 4:30-6:10 p.m.)
- Business Meeting, A Life in Sociology Series Lecture, and Reception in Honor of Earl Babbie (Monday, August 24, 6:30-8:15 p.m.) Reception sponsored by Wadsworth
ASA Committee on Publications at a Glance
- In an effort to increase openness and to improve communication with ASA members, the Committee on Publications posts its agendas, post-meeting summaries, and full minutes on the Committee's home page. The agenda, summary, and minutes from the Committee's December 2014 meeting are now posted, as is the tentative agenda for the upcoming meeting to be held in Chicago in conjunction with the 2015 ASA Annual Meeting. The Committee's meetings (excluding confidential executive sessions) are open to members. Comments on agenda items may be sent via e-mail to Committee chair Jennifer Barber.
For Members Only
Prepay Next Year's Membership Dues
- Many 2015 ASA members can now prepay their dues for up to two additional years (2016 and 2017) at current rates. This option was implemented by ASA upon request by a number of ASA members who had grant or other funds that would be "lost" prior to the next membership renewal cycle. If interested, log in to the ASA member portal and click on "Prepay 2016/2017 Membership Dues." (Student, associate, and unemployed members are not eligible for prepayment of dues.)
Climate Change and Society
- Climate Change and Society: Sociological Perspectives, developed by the ASA Task Force on Sociology and Global Climate Change, will be published in August by Oxford University Press. The 11-chapter volume provides sociological analyses of climate change for diverse audiences.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA