Socius Publishes First Articles
- ASA's newest journal, Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World, has published its first two articles (see links below). Published online and fully open access, Socius provides an online forum for the rapid dissemination of peer-reviewed empirical work, produced in time to be relevant to ongoing debates. Committed to an efficient peer review process and open access, Socius's online format ensures that all scientifically sound sociological research from any subfield can be published, without the volume constraints imposed by traditional print limits. ASA members are encouraged to submit manuscripts; members receive significant discounts on publication fees or may request a waiver of fees if unable to pay.
Watch Your E-mail!
Member Input Needed on Journal Editorial Records
- The ASA Committee on Publications will be surveying all members in late January about the potential for creating a research archive from the electronic editorial files of ASA journals. (This is separate from the project to preserve paper records from 1991 through 2009 by digitizing them.) The survey will be carried out by the ASA Research Department and all results will be held in confidence. Please keep an eye out for this important survey and take a few minutes to respond.
Upcoming Annual Meeting Deadlines
2016 Annual Meeting
- Register for the Annual Meeting
- The Online Paper Submission System closed on January 6. An impressive 4,065 submissions were received into the system this year—4,161 were submitted in 2015. Authors will receive formal notices on the final disposition of their submissions by March 11.
- Coming Soon . . . ASA Housing Services for the 2016 Annual Meeting will open on the ASA website on February 22. Staying within ASA's secure room block protects our guests from fraudulent activity commonly associated with online pirating companies who are not authorized by ASA. ASA's managed housing block is also more convenient—keeping you connected with all the activities and networking opportunities that occur during the meeting.
- Space for Other Groups and Member-Sponsored Meetings. Available meeting space in Seattle is limited. February 26, 2016, is the deadline for requesting evening space during the 2016 Annual Meeting for activities sponsored by members and/or organizations of interest to sociologists. A formal letter of request with signature (not an e-mail message) is required to apply for access to meeting space. Formal letters converted to PDF and e-mailed to ASA Meeting Services are acceptable. Please read Space for Other Activities before mailing or faxing your request.
New in the ASA Bookstore
National Standards for High School Sociology
- The American Sociological Association's (ASA) National Standards for High School Sociology are designed to provide guidance to teachers and administrators seeking to develop high quality, developmentally appropriate one-semester introductory sociology courses for students in the 9th-12th grades. Order a printed copy for $7.00 or download a pdf at no charge.
Deadline for Applications for Editorship of Sociology of Education Extended
- The Committee on Publications has extended the deadline for applications for the next editor of Sociology of Education until February 5, 2016. The official term for the new editor (or co-editors) will commence in January 2017 (the editorial transition is anticipated for summer 2016) and is for a minimum of three years (until December 2019), with a possible reappointment of up to an additional two years.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA