Upcoming Annual Meeting Deadlines
2015 Annual Meeting
- The Online Paper Submission System closed on January 8. An impressive 4,116 submissions were received into the system (compared with 4,664 in 2014). Authors should receive notices of the final disposition of their submissions by March 13, 2015.
- Space for Other Groups and Member-Sponsored Meetings. Available meeting space in Chicago is limited. February 26, 2015, is the deadline for requesting evening space during the 2015 Annual Meeting for activities sponsored by members and/or organizations of interest to sociologists. A formal letter of request with signature (not an e-mail message) is required to apply for access to meeting space. Please read Space for Other Activities before mailing or faxing your request.
- Coming Soon . . . ASA Housing Services for the 2015 Annual Meeting will open on the ASA website in late February. (Calculate your estimated expense for attending the meeting.) Staying within the ASA room block is more convenient and helps you stay connected with the informal activities and networking opportunities that occur during the meeting.
2016 Annual Meeting
- Last Call for Invited Session Proposals. February 5, 2015, is the final deadline for submitting proposals of invited sessions. Check the online guidelines and send your best idea to the 2016 Program Committee now. The February 5 deadline also applies to nominating books for the 2016 Author Meets Critic sessions. Self-nominations and nominations from publishers are not permitted. Please note: no proposals are being accepted for the 2015 Annual Meeting.
- The 2016 Program Committee has confirmed the Roster of Regular Session Topics to be offered at the Annual Meeting. The Program Committee is also looking to identify potential organizers to review submissions to the Regular Session Topics. Volunteer to organize a regular session!
ASA Committee on Publications Seeks Member Input on Vision Statements from Editor Candidates
- The ASA Committee on Publications asks candidates for journal editorships to include in their proposal an anonymous "vision statement" to be posted online for ASA member comment. The vision statements for editor candidates for Sociological Theory are now available online. (The term of editorship will be 2016-2018.) Interested ASA members may read the statements and send comments by January 30 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments will be forwarded to the Committee on Publications for consideration. The Committee will present a recommendation to ASA Council; Council will make the formal appointment of editors at its meeting in February.
For Members Only
ASA Launches 2015 Directory of Members
- On January 1, ASA launched the 2015 online Directory of Members. Only current ASA members are included in the Directory and only current ASA members can use the Directory to search for other members by name, institution, city/state/country, or area of specialty. New members will be added to the Directory as they join or renew. To access the new Directory, log in to the member portal using your user name and password.
Will Your Department Be Included in the 2015 Guide to Graduate Departments?
- There's still time to list your department in the 2015 Guide to Graduate Departments of Sociology! In addition to a detailed profile of your program, listing departments receive two complimentary copies of the Guide. If you are in a graduate department, ask your Chair if your department's listing has been submitted! (Graduate department chairs may log in to their ASA department record to check or update their listing.)
ASA Funding Opportunities
- The ASA Minority Fellowship Program supports the development and training of sociologists of color in any sub-area of sociology. It seeks to attract talented doctoral students to ensure a diverse and highly trained workforce is available to assume leadership roles in research. Application deadline: January 31, 2015.
- The Carla B. Howery Teaching Enhancement Grants Program supports teaching projects that advance the scholarship of teaching and learning within the discipline of sociology. Application deadline: February 1, 2015.
- The ASA Honors Program provides undergraduate sociology students a rich introduction to the professional life of the discipline. Application deadline: February 15, 2015.
- The ASA Congressional Fellowship brings a PhD-level sociologist to Washington, DC, to work as a staff member on a congressional committee or in a congressional office. Application deadline: February 15, 2015.
- ASA Community Action Research Initiative Grants encourage sociologists to undertake community action projects that bring social science knowledge, methods, and expertise to bear in addressing community-identified issues and concerns. Application deadline: February 15, 2015.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA