Proposals Invited for Editorships of JHSB and SOE
- The ASA Committee on Publications encourages applications for the editorships of the Journal of Health and Social Behavior and Sociology of Education. The official term for the new editors (or co-editors) will begin in January 2017 (the editorial transition will start in summer 2016) and is for a minimum of three years (until December 2019), with a possible reappointment of up to an additional two years. See complete application procedures and samples of previous successful proposals.
Climate Change and Society: Sociological Perspectives
- Produced by the American Sociological Association's Task Force on Sociology and Global Climate Change in collaboration with Oxford University Press, this book presents a challenging shift from the standard climate change discourse, and offers a valuable resource for students, scholars, and professionals involved in climate change research and policy. Edited by Riley E. Dunlap and Robert J. Brulle. Now available in paperback in the ASA bookstore for a special discounted price of $25. Order your copy today! (Non-members may order through Oxford University Press.)
Call for ASA Award Nominations
- ASA members are encouraged to submit nominations for the major ASA awards, including the Distinguished Scholarly Book Award, Dissertation Award, Excellence in the Reporting of Social Issues Award, Jessie Bernard Award, Cox-Johnson-Frazier Award, Award for the Public Understanding of Sociology, Distinguished Career Award for the Practice of Sociology, Distinguished Contributions to Teaching Award, and the W.E.B. DuBois Career of Distinguished Scholarship Award. These awards are presented at the ASA Annual Meeting each August. The deadline for submission of nominations is January 29, 2016. Read about each award and see application procedures.
For Members Only
Last Chance to Prepay Next Year's Dues at This Year's Rates
- In August, Council voted to not to increase dues in 2016 for students, international associates, unemployed, and other lower income categories, but other dues categories will be increased by a small cost-of-living adjustment, the first dues increase in three years. Until September 30, many 2015 ASA members can prepay their dues for up to two additional years (2016 and 2017) at current rates. This option was implemented by ASA upon request by a number of ASA members who had grant or other funds that would be "lost" prior to the next membership renewal cycle. If interested, log in to the ASA member portal and click on "Prepay 2016/2017 Membership Dues." (Student, associate, and unemployed members are not eligible for prepayment of dues.)
Annual Meeting News and Notes
- 2015 Annual Meeting. The 110th ASA Annual Meeting was a great success, with registration reaching a 5,712! Congratulations to President Paula England, the members of the 2015 Program Committee, the local arrangements subcommittee (chaired by William T. Bielby, University of Illinois-Chicago), Section chairs, and all the session organizers on their excellent work in planning this year's program. View a collection of photos from the 2015 Annual Meeting.
- View Recordings of the 2015 Annual Meeting Plenary Sessions. Streaming video and transcripts of all plenary sessions are available on the ASA website (http://videoarchive.asanet.org/). The open-access, mobile-friendly, video archive of ASA plenary sessions since 2002 provides a significant scientific and pedagogical resource for sociologists anywhere across the globe.
- Mark Your Calendar Now for the 2016 Annual Meeting in Seattle! Next year's Annual Meeting will be held August 20-23, 2016. The 2016 Call for Papers will be posted on the ASA website and the online submission system will open November 3. The deadline for paper submissions is January 6, 2016. The Annual Meeting is a unique opportunity for scholars to learn teach, deliberate, network, and relax with colleagues from around the world. Check out the theme for the 2016 Annual Meeting, Rethinking Social Movements: Can Changing the Conversation Change the World?, and watch for updates about the major plenary sessions. It is too late to propose session topics and/or invited panels for 2016. The submission deadline was February 5, 2015, and the Program Committee is unable to consider late suggestions.
TRAILS To Be Free Member Benefit in 2016
- At its meeting in August, ASA Council approved a proposal to make full access to the TRAILS online database of teaching resources a new benefit of ASA membership for 2016. Pending the launch of the 2016 application and renewal system on October 15, paid member subscriptions have been discontinued in advance of the transition to free access. However, any member may sign up now for free access through October 15 using a special promotion code. Active your free subscription today!
2014 ASA Audit Now Available
- In August, the 2014 ASA Audit was reviewed and approved by Council. It is now available online for member review.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA