Printer Friendly Version Of
American Sociological Association: Graduate School
Purchase the booklet
The booklet, is available for purchase through our Bookstore.
What about Graduate School?*
An undergraduate major in sociology provides an excellent foundation for graduate study in a wide range of fields. If your goal is graduate school, your undergraduate studies in sociology are an excellent place to start. Here are some pointers:
- Focus on doing well in your sociology course work
- Join the Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society.
- Attend, and consider doing a poster presentation at, the annual meetings of state, regional, or national sociology associations. Some of these include:
- List your sociological skills on your graduate school application
- Seek out on-the-job training activities, including internships and volunteer opportunities
- For students interested in entering a PhD program in sociology, seek out professors who are willing to become mentors and allow you to assist on research projects.
- Browse the ASA Guide to Graduate Department of sociology
*This text is an excerpt from 21st Century Careers with an Undergraduate Degree in Sociology?