ASA President Michèle Lamont Pens Election Op-Ed
New in the Speak4Sociology Blog
Annual Meeting Town Hall Discussion Continues: Join Us for a Twitter Chat
- On Tuesday, December 6, at 1:00 p.m. EST and Wednesday, December 7, at 1:00 p.m. EST, ASA Council member Tanya Golash-Boza (@tanyaboza) will moderate a Twitter chat with the hashtag #InclusiveASA. Please join us to share your ideas for how to have a more inclusive ASA, and how ASA can foster more inclusivity in departmental life and in academia more generally.
Candidates for 2017 ASA Election
- The American Sociological Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the 2017 slate of candidates for ASA officers, Council, Committee on Nominations, Committee on Publications, and Committee on Committees. Ballots for the 2017 ASA election will be sent via e-mail (unless members have opted in to a printed version) in spring 2017.
- ASA Council met August 23-24, 2016, in Seattle. Pending approval and online posting of the minutes, a summary of key decisions and discussion is posted here. Keep an eye out in future issues of ASA Member News and Notes and ASA Footnotes for information on other actions.
2017 ASA Annual Meeting Update
- The Call for Papers and online submission site for the 2017 Annual Meeting opened November 1. Members may submit papers to Regular Session topics, Section paper sessions and Section roundtables, and Open Refereed Roundtables. Proposals for Posters and discussion topics for Informal Discussion Roundtables may also be submitted. Authors are advised to read the submission criteria and review the program components posted in the online Call for Papers before attempting to submit papers. Users will need their ASA ID and password to log into the submission site. The deadline for all submissions is January 11, 2017.
- Thinking about hosting a meeting or special event during the Annual Meeting in Montréal? The ASA provides two services for individuals or groups desiring to use meeting space at the Annual Meeting. Because ASA Sections have been allotted program time, they are excluded from these provisions.
ASA Opportunities in Retirement Network
Sally Hillsman Presents Lecture on "A Life in Sociology"
- During the 2016 ASA Annual Meeting in Seattle, Sally T. Hillsman, ASA Executive Officer from 2002 until retiring in September, presented the second annual invited lecture sponsored by the ASA Opportunities in Retirement Network (ORN). Read and listen to the full lecture on the ORN website.
Start Your Holiday Shopping Early!
- The Sociologist's Book of Cartoons makes an ideal holiday gift, with a special discounted member rate of only $10. With a customized ASA cartoon on the cover, the hardbound book includes 85 cartoons originally published in The New Yorker magazine over the last 80 years, selected specifically for their relevance to the work and lives of sociologists. Visit the ASA online bookstore and order by December 9 to ensure delivery by the holidays.
- Looking for a way to reward or recognize an outstanding or deserving student? Consider giving the gift of ASA membership using the new online gift process. Each gift membership is only $50 and includes all the regular benefits of student membership as well as a journal of the student's choice.
- With the end of the semester around the corner, now is a great time to visit the merchandise section of the ASA online bookstore if you are looking for gifts for your students, colleagues, or department staff. From "World's Best Sociology" mugs to mousepads, PhD decals to water bottles, sociology-themed word magnets to luggage tags , and a wide variety of tote and messenger bags, ASA offers high-quality, low-cost gifts professionally imprinted with the ASA logo. For even more savings, be sure to visit the sale section for special end-of-year bargains.
Make Sure Your Information Is Correct in the ASA Database
- The ASA Research Department compiles demographic, education, and employment data from ASA membership records to examine the composition of our membership. Providing your demographic, education, and employment information in the member database is optional but important, and the data will be held in strict confidence. Please take a moment and log in to your member profile to ensure that your information is correct.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA