Launching in 2018: The Sociology Action Network
- Council has approved development of the Sociology Action Network (SAN), a program through which sociologists will provide direct support to nonprofit organizations with missions related to issues that can be informed by sociology. Read more.
Introducing New MFP Fellows
- ASA is pleased to announce the five fellows who will begin their participation in the Minority Fellowship Program on August 1, 2017. Read about the new MFP Fellows.
For Members Only
Publishing Options Searchable Database Lauched
- ASA has launched the new Publishing Options database, exclusively available to members in the "My ASA" member portal. (Use your ASA user name and password to log in.) The database includes listings for more than 200 journals accepting manuscripts in sociology or closely-related fields (including 18 open-access journals). Members may search by journal title, specialty areas, types of manuscripts accepted, publisher, or open-access format.
Bienvenue à Montréal for the ASA Annual Meeting
- ASA encourages all members to join us in Montréal for the 112th Annual Meeting. The special Annual Meeting bulletin (with eight pages of information about the program, special sessions, events, and services) is now available for download. If you have not yet registered, you may register online or onsite in Montréal.
- Public Engagement at #ASA17. Now more than ever, sociologists must be present in the public sphere. View the roster of public engagement events scheduled during the Annual Meeting in Montréal to prepare attendees to amplify their media presence.
- Program App. Download the ASA 2017 Program app to seamlessly navigate the Annual Meeting. To download the app, go to the App Store or Google Play and search for "ASA Annual Meeting." For all other device types (including BlackBerry, Windows, and other web browser-enabled devices), point your mobile browser to app.core-apps.com/asaannual to be directed to the proper download version for your device. Should you have any questions about downloading the app, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ASA Awards Ceremony and Presidential Address. Please plan to attend the awards ceremony to celebrate ASA Award winners and to attend President Michèle Lamont's Presidential Address, "Addressing the Recognition Gap: Destigmatization Processes and the Production of Inequality."
- Wifi Access. ASA provides complimentary Wifi in all ASA meeting rooms at the Palais des congrès de Montréal. The bandwidth provided is sufficient for basic internet use including web access and email. The bandwidth will not support streaming, downloading, or uploading large files. Select ASAMontreal as the available network and use ASAMontreal as the access code.
- Access for All. ASA is committed to making the Annual Meeting accessible to all. Please take a moment to review the Access for All webpage for information on resources, navigation, and more.
Give the Gift of Student or Section Membership
- Student membership is an ideal way to reward or recognize an outstanding or deserving student. If your student or colleague is already an ASA member, consider giving a membership in any of ASA's 52 special interest sections. To give a gift of ASA or section membership, log in to the member portal to access the gift systems before they close on July 31.
ASA Committee on Publications at a Glance
- The Committee on Publications posts its agendas, post-meeting summaries, and full minutes on the Committee's home page. The agenda is now posted for the upcoming meeting in Montréal. Comments on agenda items may be sent via e-mail to Committee chair Kathleen Blee.
Journal of World-Systems Research Invites Applications for New Editor(s)
- Individual and team applications are invited for the position of editor of the Journal of World-Systems Research, a journal of the ASA Section on Political Economy of the World-System. The official term for the new editor (or co-editors) will begin in 2019. Read the call for applications.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
- Hope for Cities or Hope for People: Neighborhood Development and Demographic Change by Jelisa Clark and Cynthia Negrey (City & Community, June 2017)
- Featured Essay: Karl Polanyi in an Age of Uncertainty by Fred Block and Margaret R. Somers (Contemporary Sociology, July 2017)
- Sexual Assault and Identity Disruption: A Sociological Approach to Posttraumatic Stress by Kaitlin M. Boyle (Society and Mental Health, July 2017)
- Reproducing (and Disrupting) Heteronormativity: Gendered Sexual Socialization in Preschool Classrooms by Heidi M. Gamsen (Sociology of Education, July 2017)
- Discursive Entwinement: How White Transracially Adoptive Parents Navigate Race by Carla Goar, Jenny L. Davis, and Bianca Manago (Sociology of Race and Ethnicity, July 2017)
- Producing Better Writers in Sociology: A Programmatic Approach by Todd Migliaccio and Jacqueline Carrigan (Teaching Sociology, July 2017)
- Who Is This "We" You Speak of? Grounding Activist Identity in Social Psychology by Jonathan Horowitz (Socius, July 3, 2017)
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA