Romero Elected 2019 ASA President; Kao Elected Vice-President
- Mary Romero (Arizona State University) was elected the 110th ASA President, with Grace Kao (Yale University) Vice President-Elect. See the complete election results.
ASA Harassment Working Group Formed
- Harassment—sexual, racial, and other forms—has been a pervasive issue in higher education and we often hear of such misconduct at professional meetings, including ASA's Annual Meeting. Council recently had a discussion about this very serious problem and decided to appoint a Harassment Working Group to identify steps ASA might consider taking to both prevent and respond to misconduct at our Annual Meeting. Read more.
2016 Editors' Reports Now Online
- The annual reports from ASA editors (including data on acceptance rates, manuscripts submitted, and decisions made for manuscripts submitted during the 2016 calendar year) are now available online.
Is Your Department a Department Affiliate?
- Did you know everyone in your department can have access to sociology specific webinars focused on professional development, student success, teaching, and department leadership and management? Did you know all the undergraduates taking sociology at your institution could have access to an ASA quarterly newsletter designed specifically for them? Did you know that first-year graduate students in your department could be getting a free year of ASA membership? Talk to your chair about joining the ASA Department Affiliates program to access all of these benefits.
2017 Annual Meeting News and Updates
- Register today for this year's meeting in Montréal! The deadline to register at significant discounts to ASA members is July 11, 2017. You can continue to register online after July 11 but rates will increase. Visit the member portal and register today (use your ASA user name and password to log in).
- The 2017 Annual Meeting program features three plenary sessions. The opening plenary session (Friday, August 11, 5:00 p.m.) examines Dignity and the Bridging of Group Boundaries and will be followed by the Welcome Reception. The second plenary (Saturday, August 12, 12:30 p.m.) addresses the Progressive Neo-Liberal Challenge to the Politics of Distribution and Recognition. The third plenary (Monday, August 14, 12:30 p.m.) tackles the Pursuit of Inclusion through Law, Policies, Narratives and Other Means.
- The Annual Meeting App is live. Keep Annual Meeting information at your fingertips with the Annual Meeting App. Download it today!
- Registration for Tours, Courses, and Preconferences Continues. Add one of these great opportunities to your Annual Meeting experience.
- The ASA Employment Fair will be held Saturday, August 12. The Employment Fair is open to all registered meeting attendees to allow job seekers to meet informally with employers. Employers with a current open position(s), as well as those interested in sharing information about the opportunities they offer, are invited to participate. Visit the Employment Fair web page for more information.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
- Sources of Segregation in Social Networks: A Novel Approach Using Facebook by Bas Hofstra, Rense Corten, Frank van Tubergen, and Nicole B. Ellison (American Sociological Review, June 2017)
- Desperation and Service in the Bail Industry by Joshua Page (Contexts, Spring 2017; issue free online through July 16)
- Emerging Adulthood, Emergent Health Lifestyles: Sociodemographic Determinants of Trajectories of Smoking, Binge Drinking, Obesity, and Sedentary Behavior by Jonathan Daw, Rachel Margolis, and Laura Wright (Journal of Health and Social Behavior, June 2017)
- Is Deference the Price of Being Seen as Reasonable? How Status Hierarchies Incentivize Acceptance of Low Status by Cecilia L. Ridgeway and Sandra Nakagawa (Social Psychology Quarterly, June 2017)
- Men as Dependents? Marriage and Changes in Health Insurance Coverage among Working-age Adults in the United States, 1988 to 2008 by Christine Percheski (Socius, June 6, 2017)
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA