Proposals Invited for Editorships of Contexts, the ASA Rose Series, and Social Psychology Quarterly
- The ASA Committee on Publications encourages applications for the editorships of Contexts magazine, the ASA Rose Series in Sociology, and Social Psychology Quarterly. The official term for the new editors (or co-editors) will begin in January 2018 (the editorial transition will start in summer 2017) and is for a minimum of three years (until December 2020), with a possible reappointment of up to an additional two years. See complete application procedures and examples of previous successful proposals.
For Members Only
Last Chance to Prepay Next Year's Dues at This Year's Rates
- Until September 30, 2016, ASA members can prepay their dues for up to two additional years (2017 and 2018). This option was implemented by ASA upon request by a number of ASA members who have grants or other funds that would be "lost" prior to the next membership renewal cycle. If interested, log in to the ASA member portal and click on "Prepay 2017/2018 Membership Dues." (Student, associate, and unemployed members are not eligible for prepayment of dues.)
Annual Meeting News and Notes
- 2016 Annual Meeting. The 111th ASA Annual Meeting was a great success, with registration reaching 5,300 for the Seattle event! Congratulations to President Ruth Milkman, members of the 2016 Program Committee, the local arrangements subcommittee chaired by Jerald R. Herting (University of Washington) and Jennifer McKinney (Seattle Pacific University), Section chairs, and all the session organizers on their excellent work in planning this year's program. Check out some of the Seattle happenings by browsing through a collection of photos from the 2016 Annual Meeting.
- Recordings of the 2016 Annual Meeting Plenary Sessions. View streaming videos and transcripts of the five plenary sessions on the ASA website. The open-access, mobile-friendly, video archive of ASA plenary sessions since 2002 provides a significant scientific and pedagogical resource for sociologists anywhere across the globe.
- Mark Your Calendar Now for the 2017 Annual Meeting in Montréal, Québec, Canada! Next year's Annual Meeting will be held August 12-15, 2017. The 2017 Call for Papers will be posted on the ASA website and the online submission system will open on Tuesday, November 1. The deadline for paper submissions is January 11, 2017. (The deadlines for proposing session topics and invited panels have passed.) The Annual Meeting is a unique opportunity for scholars to learn, teach, deliberate, network, and reconnect with colleagues from around the world. Check out the theme for the 2017 Annual Meeting, Culture, Inequalities, and Social Inclusion Across the Globe—and watch for updates about the major plenary sessions.
2015 ASA Audit Now Available
- In August, the 2015 ASA Audit was reviewed and approved by Council. It is now available online for member review.
New in the Speak4Sociology Blog
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
- Featured Essay: Toward a Nightmare-Resistant Sociology by John Levi Martin (Contemporary Sociology, September 2016)
- Is Sex Good for Your Health? A National Study on Partnered Sexuality and Cardiovascular Risk among Older Men and Women by Hui Liu, Linda J. Waite, Shannon Shen, and Donna H. Wang (Journal of Health and Social Behavior, September 2016)
- Journal of World-Systems Research, Special Issue on Coloniality of Power and Hegemonic Shifts in the World-System (Volume 21, Number 2)
- Toxic Ties: Networks of Friendship, Dating, and Cyber Victimization by Diane Felmlee and Robert Faris (Social Psychology Quarterly, September 2016)
- First-generation Disadvantage and College Enrollment/Completion by Tabitha G. Wilbur and Vincent J. Roscigno (Socius, September 2016)
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA