ASA Launches 2017 Member-Get-A-Member Campaign
- The American Sociological Association challenges ASA members to encourage their colleagues, students, and others interested in the discipline of sociology to join ASA for 2017. Each current member who sponsors a new member is eligible for special recognition, prizes, and discounts on member dues. Read more.
ASA Election Closes June 1
Call for Proposals: Research on Effects of Campus Carry
- Since 2004, 10 states have passed laws allowing concealed handguns on college campuses in some form or another, and in 2014 alone 14 states submitted similar legislation. Such legislation can potentially have great impact on sociologists and their work. As such, ASA is accepting proposals for research to study the possible effects of guns in classrooms. Read more.
Available Online: New Recommendations for the Undergraduate Major
- The Sociology Major in the Changing Landscape of Higher Education: Curriculum, Careers, and Online Learning, a report of the ASA Task Force on Liberal Learning and the Sociology Major, is now available for free online. In the 13 years since the ASA last issued recommendations for the major, the higher education landscape has shifted significantly. Program assessment is now virtually universal. Students want and need to understand the employment implications of their college choices. Online education is a feature of over 60 percent of sociology departments. This new volume and its 12 recommendations are designed to help departments flourish in this challenging terrain.
2017 Annual Meeting News and Updates #ASA17
- The 2017 preliminary program is available online and as a downloadable pdf. The program's content search features have been ehnanced and include full-text search capability across a variety of fields.
- ASA Exhibits. Plan to visit the Exhibit Hall for the latest publications, products, and services of interest to meeting attendees. See the list of confirmed exhibitors.
- Boost your skills at the Department Chairs Preconference, Director of Graduate Studies Preconference, or one of four preconference courses.
- This year's Chairs Preconference will focus on "The Sociology Major in the Changing Landscape of Higher Education: Recommendations from the ASA Task Force on Liberal Learning." The preconference will examine the implications of the newly-released recommendations for sociology programs and departments across the full range of institutional contexts, including PhD-granting, MA-granting, BA-granting, and multi-disciplinary departments.
- This year's Directors of Graduate Studies Preconference will examine "The Future of the PhD in Sociology." The preconference will engage department leaders in an extended conversation about how PhD programs in sociology can best respond to the rapidly-changing social and institutional context for doctoral education.
- The 2017 Annual Meeting offers four preconference Courses this year: (1) Blog-writing as a Form of Public Sociology; (2) Using Media for Sociological Work; (3) Advanced Regression Modeling; and (4) Incorporating American Community Survey and U.S. Census Data into Undergraduate Courses.
Hot Off the Press: Journal Highlights
Visit the journals homepage for centralized information on all ASA journals, including how to subscribe or purchase a single article, submit a manuscript, or view recently featured articles.
Stay Connected to ASA