- Knowledge and Scholarship
- Networking and Connections
- Supporting Future Sociologists
- Careers, Employment and Funding Opportunities
- Advocating for the Discipline
- Publisher Discount Programs
- Interdisciplinary Membership Discounts
Knowledge and Scholarship
Education and information delivery are important aspects of ASA membership. ASA publishes nine scholarly journals at a discount rate to ASA members. Learn the latest news about the sociology profession, events announcements, grant opportunities and more through the monthly Footnotes newsletter.Member News and Notes e-newsletter provides timely information about activities and deadlines pertinent to the membership. Members have access to the latest reports and surveys on the sociology profession from the ASA Research Department. The ASA online bookstore offers many helpful teaching guides, career-oriented publications and valuable reference materials for faculty and students alike, plus free member access to the current edition of Publishing Options: An Author's Guide to Journals. Members receive full access to TRAILS, ASA’s online digital library containing thousands of teaching resources.
- TRAILS—The ASA Digital Library
- Rose Book Series
- ASA Research Department
- Member News and Notes
- ASA Bookstore
Networking and Connections
ASA builds lasting connections for member faculty and students. The ASA annual meeting attracts over 5,000 attendees participating in paper presentation sessions, courses, seminars and the ASA Employment Service. If you have a particular area of scholarly interest, you may join one or more of ASA’s 52 sections. The sections offer newsletters, listservs and sessions at the annual meeting. The member portal includes free access to the searchable online Directory of Members and the department directory. Connect with fellow sociologists through ASA’s Facebook and Twitter sites.
Supporting Future Sociologists
Nurturing the scholarly development of sociology students is an important goal of the association. Students are welcome to participate in many activities with ASA. The Student Forum is open to all current ASA student members. The Forum provides students the opportunity to network with their peers and faculty; receive timely print and electronic publications; information about research and funding opportunities and more. The ASA Honors Program awards a select group of undergraduate students to participate at the ASA Annual Meeting where they meet with prominent sociologists, participate in paper sessions, attend receptions among other activities. The Minority Fellowship Program has supported over 500 sociologists of color since the program’s inception 42 years ago. The Fellows receive significant support for their research and career development during their doctoral studies.
Careers, Employment and Funding Opportunities
ASA is an excellent resource for member faculty and students looking to develop their careers in the academic field. The association offers the Job Bank: the authoritative online job resource for candidates and academic departments. Members have free online access to hundreds of recent job listings in academia, non-profit organizations and government. Through its partnership with Interfolio, current members can receive a free Dossier subscription for managing their job searches and application materials. ASA offers helpful career publications for sociology students and recent doctorate graduates through the bookstore. Members also benefit from announcements on the latest research grant opportunities in Footnotes. In addition to supporting the organization through membership, sociologists have the opportunity to donate to various ASA-sponsored funds that advance the discipline and encourage professional development.
- Job Bank
- Career Resources
- Grants and Funding Opportunities
- Career Publications in Bookstore
Advocating for the Discipline
The 13,000+ sociology member community offers a powerful voice to protect the rights of scholars and ensure the progress of human rights around the globe. ASA promotes the sociology discipline through the press office and the association links member scholars with members of the media. Membership support helps the association track federal policies that might impact the sociology discipline.
ASA offers members two ways of accessing the JSTOR journal archive. This is particularly valuable for independent scholars and others at institutions without access to JSTOR.
- When joining or renewing ASA membership, members can add access to ASA journals in JSTOR for $40. In 2016, this access includes all ASA journals from inaugural issues (e.g., 1936 for the American Sociological Review) through 2013.
- ASA members can purchase access to JSTOR’s JPASS program with more than 1,500 participating journals (including all ASA journals) for $99 per year (a 50% discount off the regular $199 price). Log in to the member portal and click on the JPASS link under “Benefits.”
ASA has expanded its affinity programs in recent years. Affinity benefits include savings on vacation and business travel, and special member discounts on hotels; health insurance; rental cars; and more. ASA members also enjoy publisher and social science journal discounts.
- Car Rental Discounts with Hertz (discount code is 453806) and use discount code (AMSOCIO) for Alamo and National.
- Member subscribers can save up to 90 percent on popular magazine titles through ASA Magazineline. This is a great benefit for purchasing gift magazine subscriptions for family, colleagues or students. Visit ASA Magazineline or call (800) 959-1676 to place your order today!
- Travel discounts for vacations and business. Find discounts on airfare, hotels, cruise vacations and more with Members on Vacation.
- Group Insurance Discount Plans offer savings to ASA members for individual health insurance coverage, term life, disability income, short-term and major medical, educators' professional liability, long-term care, and dental coverage through Mercer Consumer.
- Savings with Medical Bills. Health Proponent helps ASA members find qualified medical professionals; provides assistance with lowering medical bill payments; helps explain coverage plans; and more.
- Discounts with Office Supplies. Save on office supplies and furniture through Penny Wise byusing discount code ASO.
- Medical supplies and physical therapy products savings. Members will find discounts on medical supplies, physical therapy items and more at ActiveForever. Enter the code ASADC to get the preferred discount.
- Purchasing floral products for a discount through 1-800-Flowers.com. Save 15% off flowers and gifts by calling 1-800-FLOWERS or order online at by using promotional code ASOCA.
Publisher Discount Programs
- ASA members receive a 20% discount on SAGE books. Use promotion code S09ASA when ordering online or by telephone (800)818-7243 from SAGE.
- Sociology Compass Subscription Savings. Save more than 50% on a subscription to Sociology Compass, a journal of peer-reviewed survey articles across the discipline.
- E-Books subscription discounts through ACLS Humanities E-Book Collection. Browse through thousands of titles from the 1880s to the present, including the 13 original volumes in the Rose Monograph Series for a special rate of $35.
ASA members may join a sister association through ASA's interdisciplinary membership program. These membership partnerships provide an opportunity for members with interests in related disciplines to join at discounts available exclusively to ASA members.
- American Anthropological Association. Current ASA members can join the AAA as an associate member for a special discounted rate of $106 (regularly $125). Membership includes online access to 40 AAA journals, a print subscription to Anthropology News, discounts on other publications and meeting registration, and much more.
- American Political Science Association. Current ASA members can join the APSA as an associate member for a special discounted rate of $68 (regularly $75). Membership includes online access to three APSA journals plus a print subscription to one journal of choice, substantial discounts on event registration and publications, and much more. Join APSA today.