Socialization is learning to become a member of the groups and society in which one lives, and is one way that societies continue through time.
- Understand the primary agents of socialization and why they are influential.
- Understand what happens when infants receive very little human contact.
- Understand the social construction of the self.
- Be aware of several theories about the socialization process.
- Understand that socialization is largely invisible to the "naked eye," involves both active and passive learning, and continues through the life course.
- Understand how sociologists analyze the contents, contexts, and processes of socialization.
- Understand the concepts of resocialization and desocialization.