For Members Only . . .
Travel Discounts for ASA Members
Car Rental Discounts:
Members save up to 20% by using special ASA discount codes at the following companies:
www.hertz.com (ASA Discount Code: 453806) Toll-Free Reservation Number: (800) 654-2210
www.alamo.com (ASA Discount Code: AMSOCIO) Toll-Free Phone Number: (800) 354-2322
www.nationalcar.com (ASA Discount Code: AMSOCIO) Toll-Free Phone Number: (800) 227-7368
- Hotel Discounts: Save 15% on lodging at ChoiceHotels, including Comfort Inn and Suites, Clarion, EconoLodge, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, and Rodeway. Visit the Choice Hotels website at www.choicehotels.com and enter ID #00803219.
- Vacation Discounts: Visit www.membersonvacation.com for great discounts on cruises, tour packages on international trips and airline reservations. You may also call (800) 434-2235 and please note that you are a current ASA member when you make travel reservations.
For complete information on these and other ASA member benefits, visit www.asanet.org/benefits.
Membership in ASA benefits you!
Fund For The Advancement of the Discipline
Application Deadline: June 15, 2008
The American Sociological Association (ASA) invites submissions for the Fund for the Advancement of the Discipline (FAD) awards. FAD is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation with matching monies from ASA. The goal of this award is to nurture the development of scientific knowledge by funding small, groundbreaking research initiatives that will advance the discipline. FAD awards provide scholars with "seed money" for innovative research that provides opportunities for substantive and methodological breakthroughs, broadens the dissemination of scientific knowledge, and provides leverage for acquisition of additional research funds.
Selection Criteria and Funding RequirementsProposals are reviewed for scientific merit and the importance of the proposed research project or a conference for sociology as a discipline. Specific evaluation criteria include the following:
- Innovativeness and promise of the research idea;
- Originality and significance of research goals;
- The potential of the study as a building block in the development of future research;
- Appropriateness and significance of the research hypothesis;
- Feasibility and adequacy of project design;
- Plans for dissemination of results; and
- Appropriateness of requested budget.
Principal investigators (PI) and co-PI(s) must have a PhD or equivalent. Preference is given to applicants who have not previously received a FAD award. Awards shall not exceed $7,000. Payment can go directly to the PI and is not taxed. Checks will be sent to the PI’s institution, but PIs should be aware that no overhead can be charged. Award money may not be used for convention expenses, honoraria, or PI’s salary. Awardees must agree to meet the reporting requirements of the award and must be ASA members when they receive the award.
NEW! Online Application Process
Proposals may be submitted online at asanet.org/cs/funding/FAD. Applications must include title of project, name of lead author and additional author(s), 100-200-word abstract, maximum of five (5) single-spaced pages describing the project (excluding appendices), detailed budget and time schedule, statement of pending support, bibliography, and vitas for all authors.
For more information and to submit proposals, see the "Funding" page at www.asanet.org. For questions prior to submitting proposals, contact project director Roberta Spalter-Roth, (202) 383-9005 x317, firstname.lastname@example.org or Nicole Van Vooren, (202) 383-9005 x313, email@example.com. For examples of recent FAD awards see the January 2008 issue of Footnotes.
Looking for the
ASA Editor Reports?
The Editor Reports are no longer printed in Footnotes and instead appear on the ASA website (click on “Publications” and the “Journals” page at www.asanet.org).
Look for your election ballot
in the mail,
or vote online
The 2008 ASA election is underway as of late April. At the same time that ballots are mailed, all members with valid e-mail addresses will receive instructions on how to access candidate statements and how to cast their votes online. Go to www.asanet.org to read candidate bios and vote online. The election will be open
for voting through June 1.