The ASA Council held its mid-year meeting on February 2-3, 2008, in Washington, DC. Key Council actions taken and reports received include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Approved August 2007 Council minutes, which are now published on the ASA website (select the “Governance” navigation option).
- Approved the 2008 ASA operating and Spivack program budgets as recommended by the Committee on the Executive Office and the Budget (EOB).
- Selected a new editor for Contemporary Sociology.
- Established a Council Subcommittee to explore greater member contributions for specific programs such as the Minority Fellowship Program.
- Directed the Executive Office to investigate sites in the western United States and western Canada for the 2012 ASA Annual Meeting.
- Recognized the Journal of World-Systems Research as the official journal of the Political Economy of World-Systems Section (PEWS).
- Extended by one year the term of the Task Force on the Masters Degree to finalize its report.
- Reviewed an extensive analysis on member participation in sections and the impact of sections on the Association.
- Received detailed reports from the following five Council Subcommittees: Cox-Johnson-Frazier Award Criteria; Public Information; Academic Freedom and Scientific Integrity; the Production and Uses of Federal Social Science Data; and International Outreach; as well as the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Minority Fellowship Program.