The purpose of the Section on the History of Sociology is to provide a forum for sociologists and other scholars interested in the study of the historically specific processes shaping the development of sociology as a profession, an academic discipline, an organization, a community, and an intellectual endeavor. The Section serves its members as a structure
- to disseminate information of professional interest,
- to assist in the exchange of ideas and the search for research collaborators,
- to obtain information about the location of archival materials,
- to support efforts to expand such research resources and to preserve documents important to the history of sociology, and
- to ensure that the scholarship of this group can be shared with the profession through programming at both regional and national meetings.