2018 ASA Community Action Research Initiative Grant
Deadline: August 31, 2018
The American Sociological Association (ASA) encourages applications for the 2018 Community Action Research Initiative (CARI) grants. CARI grants are for projects that bring social science knowledge and methods to bear in addressing community-based problems. Applicants must be sociologists seeking to work with community organizations or community action initiatives.
Applications are encouraged from sociologists working in a variety of work settings including academic institutions, research institutes, private and non-profit organizations, and government agencies. Graduate students are eligible to apply, but CARI funds cannot be used to support dissertation research. While ASA membership is not a criterion for applying, it is required to receive a grant. All ASA members are obligated to follow the ASA Code of Ethics, and grantees must provide pertinent IRB approval if necessary. Grants are for up to $3,000 of direct costs.
CARI Grant Application
Please include the following application items in the order listed below and combine into one PDF document.
Name(s) of Principal Investigator(s)
Current Institution or Organization
- Provide your project title.
- Provide a description of the project, including its goals, how those goals will be met, and the sociological connection to a policy issue. (500 word limit)
- Provide a description of the community organization or community action initiative with which you are planning to work, and how your project relates to the mission of the organization or initiative. (500 word limit)
- Describe the expected tangible outcomes of the project, including your dissemination strategy for any findings (though the dissemination need not occur during the grant period). (500 word limit).
- Provide a one-page letter of support from the community organization or community action initiative that will be partner to the project.
- Provide a CV for each Principal Investigator.
- Provide a detailed budget and timeline.
Submit a single PDF document by August 31, 2018 to Dr. Jean H. Shin at email@example.com