ASA needs you to serve the discipline
The purpose of the Section on Sociology of Religion is to encourage and enhance research, teaching, and other professional concerns in the study of religion and society. The Section seeks to promote communication, collaboration and consultation among scholars in the field of the sociology of religion.
- Sponsors invited panels, paper sessions, and refereed roundtables at ASA annual meetings.
- Publishes a newsletter that includes notices of recently published monographs, edited collections, texts, and other information for teaching and research, as well as news of the section.
- Publicizes the events and publications of kindred organizations, such as the Association for the Sociology of Religion, the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Religious Research Association, and the American Academy of Religion.
- Maintains an electronic listserv to assist members in communicating directly with one another.
- Recognizes distinguished scholarship with awards for best book, best article, and a graduate student paper award.
- Encourages graduate students and faculty to exchange ideas about research in progress.