Section on Sociology of Religion
The Sociology of Religion Section encourages and enhances research, teaching, and other professional concerns in the study of religion and society. Through its various activities, it promotes communication, collaboration, and consultation among scholars in the field, as well as working to create links between sociology of religion and other sociological specialties.
- Sponsors invited panels, paper sessions, and refereed roundtables at ASA annual meetings.
- Publishes a newsletter that includes notices of recently published monographs, edited collections, texts, and other information for teaching and research, as well as news of the section.
- Publicizes the events and publications of kindred organizations, such as the Association for the Sociology of Religion, the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Religious Research Association, and the American Academy of Religion.
- Maintains an electronic listserv to assist members in communicating directly with one another.
- Recognizes distinguished scholarship with awards for best book, best article, and a graduate student paper award.
- Encourages graduate students and faculty to exchange ideas about research in progress.
- Religion Section By-laws - Adobe pdf format*
Since the bylaws are posted in Adobe Acrobat format you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view it. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat on your computer, use this link to download the free program and then open the newsletter.
Section on Religion
American Sociological Association