Results of 2008 ASA Election
Evelyn Nakano Glenn, University of California – Berkeley, has been elected to serve as the 101st President of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for 2009-2010. John Logan of Brown University has been elected Vice President-Elect. Glenn and Logan will assume their respective offices in August of 2009, following a year of service as President-Elect and Vice President-Elect, respectively. Glenn and the 2010 Program Committee are responsible for shaping the ASA Annual Meeting, which will be held in August 14-17, 2010 in Atlanta.
As President, Glenn also will serve as Chair of the ASA Council which governs the Association and its policies. Glenn is the 2005 recipient of the ASA Jessie Bernard Award. Glenn's teaching and research interests center on comparative race and gender studies focuses especially on political economy, immigration, labor, and citizenship. She has also worked in the areas of critical race and feminist theory and trans-disciplinary methods.
The four newly elected Council Members-at-Large are: Rosanna Hertz, Wellesley College; Pierette Hondagneu-Sotelo, University of Southern California; Omar McRoberts, University of Chicago; and Debra Minkoff, Barnard College. Also elected were two members to the Committee on Publications, six members to the Committee on Nominations, and four members to the Committee on Committees.
In announcing the results of the election, Secretary Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Executive Officer Sally Hillsman extended their heartiest congratulations to the newly elected officers and committee members, and appreciation to all who have served the Association by running for office and by voting in this election.
Continuing a pattern of growth, members of the ASA community took part in the 2008 election in record numbers. Of the 11,077 members eligible to vote, 5,122 cast ballots in this election. This translates to a very strong 46.24% participation rate, which surpasses the participation rates of similar scholarly societies. ASA Sections also made a very strong showing, with 29 Sections recording more than 50% participation and 9 Sections exceeding 60% participation in their 2008 elections.
Of the 5,122 votes cast, 92% were cast online, with the remaining 8% of the votes cast via paper ballots.
Below is the full slate of newly elected officers and committee members:
Evelyn Nakano Glenn, University of California - Berkeley
John Logan, Brown University
Rosanna Hertz, Wellesley College
Peirette Hondagneu-Sotelo, University of Southern California
Omar McRoberts, University of Chicago
Debra Minkoff, Barnard College
Committee on Publications
Cecilia Ridgeway, Stanford University
Neil Fligstein, University of California – Berkeley
Committee on Nominations
Prudence Carter, Stanford University
Shelley Correll, Cornell University
James Jasper, Graduate Center, City University of New York
Ann Morning, New York University
Denise Segura, University of California – Santa Barbara
Kim Voss, University of California - Berkeley
Committee on Committees
Chloe Bird, RAND
Wendy Ng, San Jose State University
Irene Padavic, Florida State University
Francesca Polletta, University of California - Irvine