American Sociological Association

2009 ASA Election Results

Results of 2009 Election 

Randall Collins, University of Pennsylvania, has been elected to serve as the 102nd President of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for 2010-2011. David Snow of University of California - Irvine has been elected Vice President-Elect. Collins and Snow will assume their respective offices in August of 2010, following a year of service as President-Elect and Vice President-Elect, respectively. Collins and the 2011 Program Committee are responsible for shaping the ASA Annual Meeting, which will be held in August 13-16, 2011 in Chicago. As President, Collins will serve as Chair of the ASA Council which governs the Association and its policies.

Members also elected Kate Berheide of Skidmore College as the new Secretary-Elect.  Berheide will take office as Secretary-Elect in August 2009 and will overlap with current Secretary, Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, for one year.  In August 2010 she will start a three-year term as Secretary.

The four newly elected Council Members-at-Large are: Sarah Fenstermaker, University of California - Santa Barbara; Jennifer Lee, University of California - Irvine; Sandra Smith, University of California - Berkeley; Sarah Soule, Stanford University.  Also elected were two members of the Committee on Publications, six members to the Committee on Nominations, and four members to the Committee on Committees.

In announcing the results of the election, Secretary Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Executive Officer Sally Hillsman extended their heartiest congratulations to the newly elected officers and committee members, and appreciation to all who have served the Association by running for office and by voting in this election.

Members of the ASA community took part in the 2009 election in strong numbers. Of the 11,305 members eligible to vote, 4,549 cast ballots in this election. This translates to a very strong 40.24% participation rate, which far surpasses the participation rates of similar scholarly societies. ASA Sections also made a very strong showing, with 21 Sections recording more than 50% participation in their 2009 elections.

Of the votes cast, 98% were cast online, with the remaining 2% of the votes cast via paper ballots.

Below is the full slate of newly elected officers and committee members:


Randall Collins, University of Pennsylvania

Vice President-Elect:

David Snow, University of California - Irvine


Kate Berheide, Skidmore College

Council Members-at-Large:

Sarah Fenstermaker, University of California - Santa Barbara
Jennifer Lee, University of California - Irvine
Sandra Smith, University of California - Berkeley
Sarah Soule, Stanford University

Committee on Publications:

Jeremy Freese, Northwestern University
Robert Zussman, University of Massachusetts

Committee on Nominations:

Manisha Desai, University of Connecticut
Wendy Nelson Espeland, Northwestern University
Yen Lee Espiritu, University of California - San Diego
Joan Fujimura, University of Wisconsin
Karen Hansen, Brandeis University
Devah Pager, Princeton University

Committee on Committees:

Irene H. I. Bloemraad, University of California - Berkeley
Carol Jenkins, Glendale Community College
Peggy Levitt, Wellesley College
Andrew J. Perrin, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill


Get Involved


ASA needs you to serve the discipline

Join a Section

Explore ASA's community of specialists in the discipline

Join ASA

Join or renew your membership